Arts and Entertainment
Cruise-in on Main Street in Rockport will be held this Saturday, October 12 from 6-11 p.m. Karaoke at the event will begin around 7 p.m.
Art on the Green 2019 will be held Friday, Saturday and Sunday, October 11, 12 and 13 on Highway 56 at the French Lick Town Green, located across from the Historic French Lick Hotel and Casino. This art show will feature talented artists and demonstrations, as well as for-sale items such as pottery, lamp work glass, handmade jewelry, paintings, photography, soaps, wood carvings and more. Live musical performances and food vendors will also be part of the event. Hours are 2-6 p.m. on Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. on Saturday, and 10 a.m.-4 p.m. on Sunday. All times are Eastern.
The rock/alternative band The Verve Pipe will be coming to the historic Astra Theatre in Jasper on Saturday, October 19. The Verve Pipe, a 1990s blend of two rival bands from western Michigan, is known for innovative arrangements, soul-searching lyrics and energetic live performances. Doors for this performance will open at 6:30 p.m. EDT with opening act Justin LaGrange scheduled to begin at 7:30 p.m. EDT. Tickets are on sale now at http://www.TheNextAct.org. Reserved seating tickets on the main floor and balcony are $29.95 with a $44.95 VIP option. The VIP ticket includes preferred parking in the Matrix parking lot, a $5 concession voucher, and a 30 minute pre-show meet-and-greet with the artist.
Saint Meinrad Archabbey Library Gallery, St. Meinrad, is currently hosting an exhibit of still life paintings by Evansville artist and gallery owner Holly Storlie. The exhibit runs through October 15 and features small paintings in oil executed in one sitting. Storlie paints from observation, recording and organizing her perceptions while the paint is wet. The paintings are brightly colored and built with expressive marks born from keen observation. Storlie’s award-winning paintings have been exhibited widely and are in private collections throughout the United States. For library hours, call (812) 357-6401 or (800) 987-7311, or visit http://www.saintmeinrad.edu/library/library-hours/. The exhibit is free and open to the public. Those wishing to view the exhibit may want to arrive at least 30 minutes before closing.
Zion’s United Church of Christ, located at 23 South College Street in Chrisney, will hold its annual fall bazaar from 11 a.m.-2 p.m. on Saturday, October 26. Soup, sandwiches, pies and ice cream will be available. There will also be baked goods and crafts at the country store. The public is invited to attend.
Community Table, a mission ministry of Dale Presbyterian Church, serves a free meal year round, every Thursday evening except holidays, at the Micah Center, 6 North Main St. in Dale. Doors open at 4:30 p.m., meal served 5:30-6:30 p.m., doors close at 7 p.m.
Trinity United Methodist Church, located at 24 S 5th Street in Rockport, hosts a free meal in Gideon Hall every Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. The meal is open to the public for those who wish to attend and enjoy food and fellowship.
Cornerstone United Methodist Church, located at 1407 E County Road 800 N in Chrisney, holds services at 10 a.m. on Sundays and Sunday School for all ages at 9 a.m. The new pastor is Clint Fink.
St. John’s Lutheran-LCMS, 12308 E CR 1160 N in Evanston, holds Sunday school at 8:30 a.m. and worship at 9:30 a.m.
St. Meinrad Baptist Church, 12913 Main Street, holds Sunday school at 9:15 a.m., worship at 10:30 a.m. and a Wednesday service at 6 p.m.
Clubs and Meetings
Santa Claus Town Council will meet Monday, October 14 at 5:30 p.m. at town hall.
South Spencer School Board will meet Monday, October 14 at 6 p.m. at Luce Elementary.
North Spencer School Board will meet Monday, October 14 at 6 p.m. at the corporation office in Lincoln City.
Dale American Legion Post 444 members will meet Monday, October 14 at 6:30 p.m. at the post home.
Dale Kiwanis meets every Monday from 12-1 p.m. at Jenk’s Pizza in Dale. Guests and new members are always welcome.
Kiwanis Club of South Spencer meets at Angelo’s Pizza in Rockport every Tuesday from 11:45 a.m.-1 p.m.
Health and wellness
Spencer County Council on Aging provides a SWIRCA meal at 11:30 a.m. Monday-Thursday in the Lincoln Manor Community Room, 714 Sycamore St., Rockport. Suggested donation is $3.50 for those 60 and older. Food stamps are accepted. Reservations must be called in 24 hours in advance at 812-649-9828. The meal site is closed on Fridays. Activities such as bingo and games are scheduled throughout the month after lunch.
Drug overdoses have become a leading cause of accidental death in the United States with heroin and other opiates being the largest contributor. Learn more about the signs of heroin addiction and how to make a difference by visiting http://www.narcononnewliferetreat.org/drug-rehab. Narconon can also help you take steps to overcome addiction in your family with free screenings or referrals; call 1-800-431-1754.
Lincoln Heritage Public Library:
Dale Branch (812-937-7170)
• Books & Brunch Book Club will meet Monday, October 14 from 10-11 a.m. to discuss The Wonder of Lost Causes by Nick Trout. New members (18 and older) always welcome.
• Kids in grades 6-12 are invited to Fortnite Scavenger Hunt at the library on Monday, October 14. Stop by the library anytime from 9 a.m.-8 p.m. to try and complete the hunt. Grab a form, find 11 Fortnite characters and write down the secret word with each character. Turn the words in, and Mrs. Abby will reward the student who has the most secret words correct.
• A pizza party night will be held Tuesday, October 15 from 6-7 p.m. for kids in grades 6-12. Participants will get to help make their own pizzas, play games and create their own personal notebooks to take home.
• Lego Builders Club will meet Tuesday, October 15 from 3:30-4:45 p.m. Kids of all ages are invited to spend an hour building with Legos at the library.
• Kids in grades 6-12 can stop by the library anytime from 9 a.m.-6 p.m. on Wednesday, October 16 for the “First Sentence” book challenge. Match the first sentence of a book to the book’s title for a chance to win a prize.
• Book Face Fun will be offered to kids in grades 6-12 on Thursday, October 17 from 4:45-6 p.m. Participants will find a book with a face on the front and then pose with the book as if it’s their own face for Mrs. Abby to snap a picture. The pictures will be posted on the library’s Facebook page, and the picture with the most likes will win a prize. Snacks and games will also be part of the event.
• The Dale Friends of LHPL Fall Used Book Sale will be held Thursday, October 17 through Saturday, October 26 during regular library hours. A wide variety of books, books on CD, VHS tapes and DVDs will be available for purchase at low prices. All proceeds help fund programs and activities at the library.
• Homeschool Thursday will be held Thursday, October 17 from 1-2:30 p.m. Homeschool families with kids ages 2-18 are invited to drop in for fun activities with Mrs. Abby and other homeschool families.
• Bite-Sized Bookworms, a storytime for kids 3-6 years old, is offered every Tuesday from 9:30-10:15 a.m. and every Thursday from 10:45-11:30 a.m. Free and no registration required.
• Tiny Tales, a storytime for ages 6 months-35 months, is offered every Wednesday from 9:30-10 a.m. Free and no registration required.
• Music and Movement storytime is offered every Wednesday from 1-1:45 p.m. for kids age 3-6 years old. Free and no registration required.
• A “Not Your Mother’s Yoga” class is offered every Thursday from 9:15-10:15 a.m. This free class is for anyone 18 and older, and registration is recommended.
• Genealogy assistance is available to patrons every Wednesday from 1-4 p.m.
Chrisney Branch (812-362-8471)
• A “Fruits of Fall” recipe swap will be held Monday, October 14 from 6-7 p.m. This program is open to adult patrons 18 and older. Bring your favorite fall dish from pumpkin or apples to share, along with the recipe. Call the library to register.
• Kids in grades 6-12 are invited to Fortnite Scavenger Hunt at the library on Monday, October 14. Stop by the library anytime from 9 a.m.-6 p.m. to try and complete the hunt. Grab a form, find 11 Fortnite characters and write down the secret word with each character. Turn the words in, and the kid who has the most secret words correct will win a reward.
• Lego Builders Club will meet Wednesday, October 16 from 3:30-4:45 p.m. Kids of all ages are invited to spend an hour building with Legos at the library.
• Kids in grades 6-12 can stop by the library anytime from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. on Wednesday, October 16 for the “First Sentence” book challenge. Match the first sentence of a book to the book’s title for a chance to win a prize.
• Patrons of all ages are invited to “Third Thursday Throwbacks: The Addams Family” on Thursday, October 17 from 3:30-4:30 p.m. Participants will play Addams Family-themed games, enjoy spooky snacks, and make scary crafts, including building the Addams Family castle. Registration is appreciated by calling the library.
• Bite-Sized Bookworms, a storytime for kids 3-6 years old, is offered every Monday from 10-10:45 a.m. Free and no registration required.
• Chrisney Pacemakers Walking Club meets every Thursday from 5-6 p.m. at the library. All ages are welcome to join.
• Genealogy assistance is available to patrons on Mondays from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Free delivery services are available for all Lincoln Heritage Public Library area homebound residents in North Spencer. Patrons may request large print books, paperbacks, books on CD, music CDs, magazines, word puzzles and DVDs, as well as items for the visually impaired — all at no cost. Call Justine, Outreach Coordinator at 812-937-7170 to set up a visit.
Spencer County Public Library:
Rockport Branch (812-649-4866)
• Adult Crafternoon sessions will be held Tuesday, October 15 at 6 p.m. and Wednesday, October 16 at 1 p.m. Participants will make a fall-themed craft to take home. This program is open to patrons 18 and older. Call the library to sign up.
• Kids of all ages are invited to watch Toy Story 4 at the library on Friday, October 18 (fall break) at 1 p.m.
• Preschool Storytime, for kids ages 3-Kindergarten, is being offered every Monday in September at 9:30 a.m. Registration appreciated, but not required.
• Baby and Toddler Storytime is being offered every Monday in September at 9:30 a.m. This program is for newborns-3 years.
Marylee Vogel Branch – Richland (812-359-4146)
• Book Club will meet Monday, October 14 at 1:30 p.m. to discuss 9 Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty. New members (18 and older) always welcome.
• An Adult Crafternoon session will be held Thursday, October 17 at 3 p.m. Participants will make a fall-themed craft to take home. The program is open to patrons 18 and older. Call the library to sign up.
Parker Branch – Hatfield (812-359-4030)
• Preschool Storytime, for kids ages 3-Kindergarten, is being offered every Monday in September at 1:30 p.m. Registration appreciated, but not required.
Grandview Branch (812-649-9732)
• Preschool Storytime, for kids ages 3-Kindergarten, is being offered every Tuesday in September at 9:30 a.m. Registration appreciated, but not required.
Grandview Volunteer Fire Department will host an all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast this Saturday, October 12. The breakfast will be held at the fire department from 6-10 a.m. Meals are $7 for adults and $4 for children under 10 and include pancakes, smoky links, scrambled eggs, orange juice, coffee and milk. All proceeds will benefit the Grandview Volunteer Fire Department.
Dale American Legion Color Guard is available to conduct military graveside rites to honor veterans for their service. Call the Post Home at 812-937-4025 to request services, or Commander Don Daigle at 812-454-7079.
Indiana Legal Services, Inc. is a non-profit providing free, legal representation and advice to low-income people in noncriminal cases. For information call 1-800-852-3477. All information is confidential.
Public transportation is available in Spencer, Perry, Warrick, Dubois and neighboring counties. Call Ride Solutions at 1-877-369-8899. Hours are 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, except holidays.
Crisis Connection, Inc. operates a hot-line for battered and at-risk women, and other services. To seek help or to talk to someone who cares call 1-800-245-4580.