Arts and Entertainment
The Cold Stares, a musical duo consisting of Christ Tapp and Brian Mullins, will perform at the historic Astra Theatre in Jasper on Saturday, January 18. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. EST, with the opening act taking the stage at 7:30 p.m. EST, and the Cold Stares around 8:30 p.m. General admission tickets on the main floor and balcony are $15. VIP tickets that include reserved parking, premium seating, concessions voucher and artist meet-and-greet are available for $30 each. To purchase tickets or for more information, visit http://www.TheNextAct.org.
International Crane Foundation staff will lead a program about Whooping and Sandhill cranes this Saturday, January 11, at 9 a.m. CST at the Oakland City Public Library in Oakland City. Attendees will learn how to identify these birds, the history of their decline and return, and where they can be found in Indiana. The program will last approximately an hour and will be followed by a caravan trip to the Patoka River National Wildlife Refuge to see if any cranes are in the area that morning. For more information, call the refuge office at 812-749-3199 or email email@example.com.
Saint Meinrad Archabbey Library Gallery in St. Meinrad is currently hosting an art exhibit called “New Works: Slipware and Drawings,” by Br. Martin Erspamer, OSB. The show runs through January 15. The exhibit features functional ceramics, small scale mixed-media drawings and carved tiles. This is a cash and carry show, with new work replacing pieces as they sell. Br. Martin, a Benedictine monk of Saint Meinrad Archabbey, earned a master’s degree in fine arts from Boston University and began his career as a liturgical artist, working in painting, illustration, ceramics, stained glass, and worship space design. His art celebrates the Benedictine ethos, “that in all things may God be glorified.” For library hours, call 812-357-6401 or 800-987-7311, or visit http://www.saintmeinrad.edu/library/library-hours/. The exhibit is free and open to the public. Those wishing to view the exhibit may want to arrive at least 30 minutes before closing time.
St. John’s Lutheran-LCMS, 12308 E CR 1160 N in Evanston, holds Sunday school at 8:30 a.m. and worship at 9:30 a.m.
Mt. Olive United Methodist Church, south of Gentryville, has services on Sunday at 9 a.m.; a children’s Bible study at 9:30 a.m.; and an adult Bible study at 10:15 a.m.
Dale United Methodist Church holds Sunday worship at 10 a.m., Sunday school at 9 a.m. and Bible study on Mondays at 6:30 pm.
St. Meinrad Baptist Church, 12913 Main Street, holds Sunday school at 9:15 a.m., worship at 10:30 a.m. and a Wednesday service at 6 p.m.
Cornerstone United Methodist Church, located at 1407 E County Road 800 N in Chrisney, holds services at 10 a.m. on Sundays and Sunday School for all ages at 9 a.m. The new pastor is Clint Fink.
Community Table, a mission ministry of Dale Presbyterian Church, serves a free meal year round, every Thursday evening except holidays, at the Micah Center, 6 North Main St. in Dale. Doors open at 4:30 p.m., meal served 5:30-6:30 p.m., doors close at 7 p.m.
Clubs and Meetings
Santa Claus Town Council will meet Thursday, January 16 at 5:30 p.m. at town hall, instead of the regular Monday, January 13 meeting time.
South Spencer School Board meets the second Monday, January 13 at 6 p.m. at South Spencer High School.
North Spencer School Board will meet Monday, January 13 at 6 p.m. at the corporation office in Lincoln City.
Dale American Legion Post 444 members will meet Monday, January 13 at 6 p.m. at the Post Home.
Spencer County Relay for Life leadership team will meet Tuesday, January 14 at 5:30 p.m. at Frosty’s in Santa Claus.
Dale Town Council will meet Tuesday, January 14 at 6:30 p.m. at town hall.
Rockport City Council will meet Tuesday, January 14 at 4:30 p.m. at city hall. The Board of Public Works will meet prior, at 3:30 p.m.
Luce Township Regional Sewer District Board will meet Tuesday, January 14 at 6:30 p.m. at the district office in Hatfield.
District 18 of the Indiana Volunteer Firefighters’ Association will meet Thursday, January 16 at Ohio Township Reo Station, located at 963 N. 275 W., Rockport. A meal will be served at 7:30 p.m. and the business session will begin at approximately 8 p.m.
Dale Kiwanis meets every Monday from 12-1 p.m. at Jenk’s Pizza in Dale. Guests and new members are always welcome.
Kiwanis Club of South Spencer meets at Angelo’s Pizza every Tuesday from 11:45 a.m.-1 p.m.
Health and wellness
Free childhood immunizations will be available through the Spencer County Health Department on Tuesday, January 14 from 8-10 a.m. at the Community Action Center in Dale and on Thursday, January 16 from 8 a.m.-3 p.m. at the Health Department in Rockport. Appointments are preferred by calling 812-649-4441. Bring your child’s shot record and insurance card to file your insurance.
Spencer County Council on Aging provides a SWIRCA meal at 11:30 a.m. Monday-Thursday in the Lincoln Manor Community Room, 714 Sycamore St., Rockport. Suggested donation is $3.50 for those 60 and older. Food stamps are accepted. Reservations must be called in 24 hours in advance at 812-649-9828. The meal site is closed on Fridays. Activities such as bingo and games are scheduled throughout the month after lunch.
Drug overdoses have become a leading cause of accidental death in the United States with heroin and other opiates being the largest contributor. Learn more about the signs of heroin addiction and how to make a difference by visiting http://www.narcononnewliferetreat.org/drug-rehab. Narconon can also help you take steps to overcome addiction in your family with free screenings or referrals; call 1-800-431-1754.
Lincoln Heritage Public Library:
Dale Branch (812-937-7170)
• Books & Brunch Book Club will meet Monday, January 13 from 10-11 a.m. to discuss Red Clocks by Leni Zumas. New members (18 and older) always welcome.
• Lego Builders Club will meet Tuesday, January 14 from 3:30-4:45 p.m. This club is open to kids of all ages who love to play and build with Legos.
• Homeschool families with kids ages 2-18 years are invited to Homeschool Thursday on January 16 from 1-2:30 p.m. This is a time for local homeschool families to meet, socialize and connect with one another. Call the library for more information.
• Kids in grades 3-5 are invited to the library’s first tween program on Saturday, January 18 from 10:30-11:30 a.m. Participants will make their own yarn-wrapped letter craft.
• Bite-Sized Bookworms, a storytime for kids 3-6 years old, is offered every Tuesday from 9:30-10:15 a.m. and every Thursday from 10:45-11:30 a.m. Free and no registration required.
• Tiny Tales, a storytime for ages 6 months-35 months, is offered every Wednesday from 9:30-10 a.m. Free and no registration required.
• Music and Movement storytime is offered every Wednesday from 1-1:45 p.m. for kids age 3-6 years old. Free and no registration required.
• A “Not Your Mother’s Yoga” class is offered every Thursday from 9:15-10:15 a.m. This free class is for anyone 18 and older, and registration is recommended.
• Genealogy assistance is available to patrons every Wednesday from 1:30-4 p.m.
Chrisney Branch (812-362-8471)
• A “Cooking with Ree Drummund” recipe swap will be held Tuesday, January 14 from 5-6 p.m. Participants should bring their favorite recipe from Ree Drummund’s recipe book, along with samples to share. This program is open to patrons 18 and older; call the library to register.
• Third Thursday Throwback returns January 16 from 3:30-4:30 p.m. Patrons of all ages are invited to this event, the theme of which is “Black & White and Read all Over” for the month. Participants will enjoy games, food and crafts. Registration is encouraged by calling the library.
• Bite-Sized Bookworms, a storytime for kids 3-6 years old, is offered every Monday from 10-10:45 a.m. Free and no registration required.
• Genealogy assistance is available to patrons on Mondays from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Free delivery services are available for all Lincoln Heritage Public Library area homebound residents in North Spencer. Patrons may request large print books, paperbacks, books on CD, music CDs, magazines, word puzzles and DVDs, as well as items for the visually impaired — all at no cost. Call Justine, Outreach Coordinator at 812-937-7170 to set up a visit.
Spencer County Public Library:
Rockport Branch (812-649-4866)
• Preschool Storytime, for kids ages 3-Kindergarten, will be held the next three Mondays, January 13, 20 and 27 and Tuesdays, January 14, 21 and 28, at 9:30 a.m.
• Baby & Toddler Storytime, for little ones newborn-3 years, will be offered the next three Mondays, January 13, 20 and 27, at 9:30 a.m.
• Homeschool Hangout will be held Monday, January 13 at 1:30 p.m. During this time, local homeschool families can meet, learn and engage with other homeschool families.
• Patrons 18 and older are invited to Adult Crafternoon sessions on Monday, January 13 at 6 p.m. and Wednesday, January 15 at 1 p.m. The theme is “Winter Scene”, and participants will use acrylic paint and vinyl on canvas to create their own artwork to take home and keep. Call the library to register.
• The monthly meeting of the Spencer County Library Board of Trustees will be held Tuesday, January 14 at 6 p.m. Meetings are open to the public.
Marylee Vogel Branch (Richland) (812-359-4146)
• Book Club will meet Monday, January 13 at 1 p.m. to discuss Educated by Tara Westover. New members (18 and older) always welcome.
• Patrons 18 and older are invited to an Adult Crafternoon session on Thursday, January 16 at 3 p.m. The theme is “Winter Scene”, and participants will use acrylic paint and vinyl on canvas to create their own artwork to take home and keep. Call the library to register.
Parker Branch (Hatfield) (812-359-4030)
• Preschool Storytime, for kids ages 3-Kindergarten, will be held the next three Mondays, January 13, 20 and 27, at 1:30 p.m.
Grandview Branch (812-649-9732)
• Preschool Storytime, for kids ages 3-Kindergarten, will be held the next three Tuesdays, January 14, 21 and 28, at 9:30 a.m.
Dale American Legion Color Guard is available to conduct military graveside rites to honor veterans for their service. Call the Post Home at 812-937-4025 to request services, or Commander Don Daigle at 812-454-7079.
Indiana Legal Services, Inc. is a non-profit providing free, legal representation and advice to low-income people in noncriminal cases. For information call 1-800-852-3477. All information is confidential.
Public transportation is available in Spencer, Perry, Warrick, Dubois and neighboring counties. Call Ride Solutions at 1-877-369-8899. Hours are 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, except holidays.
Crisis Connection, Inc. operates a hot-line for battered and at-risk women, and other services. To seek help or to talk to someone who cares call 1-800-245-4580.