Arts and Entertainment
“Fishing for Plankton”, an exhibit by Jeff Bender, Efroymson Foundation Artist-in-Residence, will be on display at the University of Evansville’s Melvin Peterson Gallery from January 15-February 29. On Thursday, February 6, there will be a reception at 6:30 p.m. and a lecture by the artist at 7 p.m. at the gallery. These events are free and open to the public. The Melvin Peterson Gallery is located at 1935 Lincoln Avenue on the corner of Lincoln and Weinbach Avenues in Evansville. Gallery hours are Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Saturday from noon-3 p.m., and Wednesday and Thursday from noon-6 p.m.
Totally ’80s Totally Murder Mystery Dinner will be held at the Owensboro Convention Center in Owensboro, KY, on Friday, January 31. Doors open at 6 p.m. for cocktails, dinner starts at 6:30 p.m., and the murder mystery will follow. Guests will enjoy a buffet dinner and a live interactive experience of solving a murder crime with a unique 1980s theme. Guests are encouraged to wear ’80s attire, but regular attire is welcome, too. Tickets are $69 per person or two for $120. Additional processing fees apply to all ticket sales. Reservations only; send seating requests to email@example.com or call 270-687-8800 for more information.
A free, all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast, sponsored by Chrisney Baptist Church, will be held at the Spencer County Youth & Community Center in Chrisney on Saturday, January 25 from 7-10:30 a.m. Donations will be accepted, and all proceeds will benefit Chemo Buddies, an organization where volunteers work in chemotherapy treatment rooms directly with patients, making the treatment day a more comfortable experience. For more information call Chrisney Baptist Church at 812-362-8390.
St. John’s Lutheran-LCMS, 12308 E CR 1160 N in Evanston, holds Sunday school at 8:30 a.m. and worship at 9:30 a.m.
Mt. Olive United Methodist Church, south of Gentryville, has services on Sunday at 9 a.m.; a children’s Bible study at 9:30 a.m.; and an adult Bible study at 10:15 a.m.
St. Meinrad Baptist Church, 12913 Main Street, holds Sunday school at 9:15 a.m., worship at 10:30 a.m. and a Wednesday service at 6 p.m.
Community Table, a mission ministry of Dale Presbyterian Church, serves a free meal year round, every Thursday evening except holidays, at the Micah Center, 6 North Main St. in Dale. Doors open at 4:30 p.m., meal served 5:30-6:30 p.m., doors close at 7 p.m.
Clubs and Meetings
Spencer County’s Census 2020 project is taking shape and an implementation meeting has been set for this Thursday, January 16 at 10 a.m. at the Spencer County Public Library in Rockport. According to Commissioner Al Logsdon, in 2010 the county was able to account for 84% of its residents and he hopes to push that number higher this year. Everyone is welcome to attend.
Fulda Regional Sewer District Board of Trustees will meet Wednesday, January 15, at 6:30 p.m. at Automated Routing (16920 N. State Road 545) in Fulda.
Grandview Town Council will meet Monday, January 20 at 6 p.m. at town hall.
Spencer County Commissioners will meet Tuesday, January 21 at 2 p.m. in the Commissioners’ Room of the Courthouse.
Spencer County Council will meet Tuesday, January 21 at 5 p.m. in the Commissioners’ Room at the Courthouse.
Rockport American Legion Post 254’s Executive Board will meet Saturday, January 18 at 10 a.m. at the Post Home.
Dale Kiwanis meets every Monday from 12-1 p.m. at Jenk’s Pizza in Dale. Guests and new members are always welcome.
Kiwanis Club of South Spencer meets at Angelo’s Pizza every Tuesday from 11:45 a.m.-1 p.m.
The Huff Township Trustee Board will hold a public meeting on Tuesday, January 21, at the home of Huff Township Trustee, Joshua Knepper, located at 10546 McDonald Avenue Evanston. The meeting will start at 5:30 p.m.
Health and wellness
Red Cross blood drives will be held Sunday, January 19 from 7 a.m.-12 p.m. at Mary Help of Christians Church in Mariah Hill and Wednesday, January 22 from 4-8 p.m. at St. Bernard Catholic Church in Rockport.All blood types are needed to ensure a reliable supply for patients. Donors are urged to make an appointment to give using the Red Cross Blood Donor App, visiting RedCrossBlood.org, calling 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or enabling the Blood Donor Skill on any Alexa Echo device.
Free childhood immunizations will be offered by the Spencer County Health Department on Tuesday, January 28 from 8-10 a.m. at the Community Action Center in Dale and on Thursday, January 30 from 8 a.m.-3 p.m. at the Health Department in Rockport. Appointments are preferred by calling 812-649-4441. Bring your child’s shot record and insurance card to file your insurance.
Spencer County Council on Aging provides a SWIRCA meal at 11:30 a.m. Monday-Thursday in the Lincoln Manor Community Room, 714 Sycamore St., Rockport. Suggested donation is $3.50 for those 60 and older. Food stamps are accepted. Reservations must be called in 24 hours in advance at 812-649-9828. The meal site is closed on Fridays. Activities such as bingo and games are scheduled throughout the month after lunch.
Drug overdoses have become a leading cause of accidental death in the United States with heroin and other opiates being the largest contributor. Learn more about the signs of heroin addiction and how to make a difference by visiting http://www.narcononnewliferetreat.org/drug-rehab. Narconon can also help you take steps to overcome addiction in your family with free screenings or referrals; call 1-800-431-1754.
Lincoln Heritage Public Library:
Dale Branch (812-937-7170)
• Kids in grades 3-5 are invited to the library’s first tween program on Saturday, January 18 from 10:30-11:30 a.m. Participants will make their own yarn-wrapped letter craft.
• Patrons 18 and older are invited to Bingo for Books on Monday, January 20 from 6-7 p.m. Play Bingo and win a book or library-related items for prizes. Registration is appreciated by calling the library.
• littleBits Inventors Club will meet Tuesday, January 21 from 3:30-4:45 p.m. This club is open to kids 8 years and older. Call the library for more info.
• Kids in grades 6-12 are invited to Mario Kart Wii Challenge Night at the library on Tuesday, January 12 from 5-7 p.m. Participants will be drawing ranks and completing a bracket to see who will be the Mario Kart Champion. Snacks will be provided as well. Call the library for more info.
• Kids 3-12 years of age are invited to Winter Bingo for Books on Thursday, January 23 from 6-7 p.m.
• Bite-Sized Bookworms, a storytime for kids 3-6 years old, is offered every Tuesday from 9:30-10:15 a.m. and every Thursday from 10:45-11:30 a.m. Free and no registration required.
• Tiny Tales, a storytime for ages 6 months-35 months, is offered every Wednesday from 9:30-10 a.m. Free and no registration required.
• Music and Movement storytime is offered every Wednesday from 1-1:45 p.m. for kids age 3-6 years old. Free and no registration required.
• A “Not Your Mother’s Yoga” class is offered every Thursday from 9:15-10:15 a.m. This free class is for anyone 18 and older, and registration is recommended.
• Genealogy assistance is available to patrons every Wednesday from 1:30-4 p.m.
Chrisney Branch (812-362-8471)
• Happy Bookers Book Club will meet Thursday, January 23 from 10-11 a.m. to discuss Santa Cruise by Mary Higgins Clark. New members (18 and older) always welcome.
• littleBits Inventors Club will meet Thursday, January 23 from 3:30-4:45 p.m. This club is open to kids 8 years and older. Call the library for more info.
• Bite-Sized Bookworms, a storytime for kids 3-6 years old, is offered every Monday from 10-10:45 a.m. Free and no registration required.
• Genealogy assistance is available to patrons on Mondays from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Free delivery services are available for all Lincoln Heritage Public Library area homebound residents in North Spencer. Patrons may request large print books, paperbacks, books on CD, music CDs, magazines, word puzzles and DVDs, as well as items for the visually impaired — all at no cost. Call Justine, Outreach Coordinator at 812-937-7170 to set up a visit.
Spencer County Public Library:
Rockport Branch (812-649-4866)
• Adult patrons are invited to play Bingo at the library on Wednesday, January 22 at 10 a.m. Each Bingo earns a prize.
• Preschool Storytime, for kids ages 3-Kindergarten, will be held the next two Mondays, January 20 and 27 and Tuesdays, January 21 and 28, at 9:30 a.m.
• Baby & Toddler Storytime, for little ones newborn-3 years, will be offered the next two Mondays, January 20 and 27, at 9:30 a.m.
Marylee Vogel Branch (Richland) (812-359-4146)
Parker Branch (Hatfield) (812-359-4030)
• Preschool Storytime, for kids ages 3-Kindergarten, will be held the next two Mondays, January 20 and 27, at 1:30 p.m.
Grandview Branch (812-649-9732)
• Preschool Storytime, for kids ages 3-Kindergarten, will be held the next two Tuesdays, January 21 and 28, at 9:30 a.m.
Spencer County Relay for Life Team HAPPYis hosting a shrimp fry fundraiser this Friday, January 17, at the St. Meinrad Community Center in St. Meinrad. Serving is from 3–7 p.m. The menu includes five jumbo shrimp, hashbrown casserole, California medley, sweet and sour slaw and a cookie for a $10 donation. Dine in, carryout, and drive-through will be available. All proceeds from the shrimp fry benefit the American Cancer Society.
Dale American Legion Color Guard is available to conduct military graveside rites to honor veterans for their service. Call the Post Home at 812-937-4025 to request services, or Commander Don Daigle at 812-454-7079.
Indiana Legal Services, Inc. is a non-profit providing free, legal representation and advice to low-income people in noncriminal cases. For information call 1-800-852-3477. All information is confidential.
Public transportation is available in Spencer, Perry, Warrick, Dubois and neighboring counties. Call Ride Solutions at 1-877-369-8899. Hours are 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, except holidays.
Crisis Connection, Inc. operates a hot-line for battered and at-risk women, and other services. To seek help or to talk to someone who cares call 1-800-245-4580.