Arts and Entertainment
St. Meinrad American Legion Post 366 will host a Valentine Dine and Dance this Saturday, February 15. Admission price of $15 includes a meal, drinks and the dance. The meal will be served at 5 p.m. Music will be provided by The Sweetwater Band. Reservations are required by calling 812-357-7834, 812-357-5121 or 812-357-5583.
“Gospel at the Phil” returns to the Evansville Philharmonic Orchestra on Sunday, February 16 at 4 p.m. at the Victory Theatre in Evansville. The concert will feature members of the Philharmonic Chorus as well as singers from Evansville area churches. Adult tickets start at $31 and can be purchased by calling the Philharmonic Box Office at 812-425-5050 or by ordering online at http://www.evansvillephilharmonic.org. Tickets can also be purchased at the door, two hours prior to the concert. Discounted tickets are available for seniors, military, and age 18-39 attendees by calling the box office. Student Rush tickets are available for $10 at the door, one hour prior to concert.
“Hustle and Bustle,” an exhibit of paintings by Louisville, KY, artist Kayla Bischoff, is on display now through February 28 at the Saint Meinrad Archabbey Library Gallery, St. Meinrad. Bischoff creates multi-layered compositions that combine figuration and abstraction, exploring individual and social psychology. For library hours, call 812-357-6401 or 800-987-7311 or visit http://www.saintmeinrad.edu/library/library-hours/. The exhibit is free and open to the public. Those wishing to view the exhibit may want to arrive at least 30 minutes before closing time.
A shopping bazaar will take place at St. Meinrad Community Center in St. Meinrad on Sunday, March 1 from 1-4 p.m. The event benefits the St. Meinrad Volunteer Fire Department Ladies Auxiliary in their mission to support the Fire Department and the community. Shop with local consultants and crafters. A silent auction will also be held. Food and drinks will be available for purchase.
A “Days for Girls” workday will be held this Saturday, February 15, from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. at St. Peter’s United Church of Christ in Lamar. Days for Girls is an organization that provides feminine hygiene kits for young girls all over the world; most of the kits prepared at this event will go to girls in Kenya. With a feminine hygiene kit, girls are able to stay in school all month long and are more likely to graduate. Jobs will be available for every skill level, and childcare will be provided at the event. To find out more or to sign up to help, call Gayle Morley Jahn at 812-529-8232. If interested in helping with hospitality, contact Judy Neighbors at 812-529-8289.
Community Table, a mission ministry of Dale Presbyterian Church, serves a free meal year round, every Thursday evening except holidays, at the Micah Center, 6 North Main St. in Dale. Doors open at 4:30 p.m., meal served 5:30-6:30 p.m., doors close at 7 p.m.
St. John’s Lutheran-LCMS, located at 12308 E CR 1160 N in Evanston, holds Sunday school at 8:30 a.m. and worship at 9:30 a.m.
Dale United Methodist Church holds Sunday worship at 10 a.m., Sunday school at 9 a.m. and Bible study on Mondays at 6:30 pm.
Cornerstone United Methodist Church, located at 1407 E County Road 800 N in Chrisney, holds services at 10 a.m. on Sundays and Sunday School for all ages at 9 a.m. The new pastor is Clint Fink.
Clubs and Meetings
Rockport American Legion Post 254’s Executive Board will meet Saturday, February 15 at 10 a.m. at the Post Home.
Grandview Town Council will meet Monday, February 17 at 6 p.m. at Town Hall.
Spencer County Commissioners will meet Tuesday, February 18 at 2 p.m. in the Commissioners’ Room at the Courthouse.
Spencer County Council will meet Tuesday, February 18 at 5 p.m. in the Commissioners’ Room of the Courthouse.
Spencer County Port Authority will hold its annual meeting on Thursday, February 20 at 5:30 p.m. in the Commissioners Room of the Courthouse.
Dale Kiwanis meets every Monday from 12-1 p.m. at Jenk’s Pizza in Dale. Guests and new members are always welcome.
Kiwanis Club of South Spencer meets at Angelo’s Pizza every Tuesday from 11:45 a.m.-1 p.m.
Health and wellness
Spencer County Council on Aging provides a SWIRCA meal at 11:30 a.m. Monday-Thursday in the Lincoln Manor Community Room, 714 Sycamore St., Rockport. Suggested donation is $3.50 for those 60 and older. Food stamps are accepted. Reservations must be called in 24 hours in advance at 812-649-9828. The meal site is closed on Fridays. Activities such as bingo and games are scheduled throughout the month after lunch.
Drug overdoses have become a leading cause of accidental death in the United States with heroin and other opiates being the largest contributor. Learn more about the signs of heroin addiction and how to make a difference by visiting http://www.narcononnewliferetreat.org/drug-rehab. Narconon can also help you take steps to overcome addiction in your family with free screenings or referrals; call 1-800-431-1754.
Lincoln Heritage Public Library:
Dale Branch (812-937-7170)
• Patrons 18 and older are invited to Bingo for Books on Monday, February 17 from 6-7 p.m. Prizes are books and other library-related items. This event is free, but pre-registration is appreciated.
• Lego Builders Club will meet Tuesday, February 18 from 3:30-4:45 p.m. Kids of all ages are welcome to attend.
• Homeschool Thursday will take place Thursday, February 20 from 1-2:30 p.m. This program is open to local home-school families with kids ages 2-18 years and allows for home-school families to socialize and network with one another.
• Kids in grades 3-5 are invited to participate in a Junk Art Creation Lab at the library on Saturday, February 22, from 10:30-11:30 a.m. Participants will enjoy a fun morning of artistic creativity. Snacks will be provided.
• Bite-Sized Bookworms, a storytime for kids 3-6 years old, is offered every Tuesday from 9:30-10:15 a.m. and every Thursday from 10:45-11:30 a.m. Free and no registration required.
• Tiny Tales, a storytime for ages 6 months-35 months, is offered every Wednesday from 9:30-10 a.m. Free and no registration required.
• Music and Movement storytime is offered every Wednesday from 1-1:45 p.m. for kids age 3-6 years old. Free and no registration required.
• A “Not Your Mother’s Yoga” class is offered every Thursday from 9:15-10:15 a.m. This free class is for anyone 18 and older, and registration is recommended.
• Genealogy assistance is available to patrons every Wednesday from 1:30-4 p.m.
Chrisney Branch (812-362-8471)
• Patrons of all ages are invited to the Third Thursday Throwback program on Thursday, February 20 from 3:30-4:30 p.m. The theme will be “Popeye, the Sailor Man and his love, Olive Oyl”. Enjoy spinach salad, learn body weight arm exercises, and make a craft. Registration is appreciated.
• Bite-Sized Bookworms, a storytime for kids 3-6 years old, is offered every Monday from 10-10:45 a.m. Free and no registration required.
• Genealogy assistance is available to patrons on Mondays from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Free delivery services are available for all Lincoln Heritage Public Library area homebound residents in North Spencer. Patrons may request large print books, paperbacks, books on CD, music CDs, magazines, word puzzles and DVDs, as well as items for the visually impaired — all at no cost. Call Justine, Outreach Coordinator at 812-937-7170 to set up a visit.
Spencer County Public Library:
Rockport Branch (812-649-4866)
• Preschool Storytime, for kids ages 3-Kindergarten, will be held next Monday and Tuesday, February 17 and 18, from 9:30-10 a.m.
• Baby & Toddler Storytime, for little ones newborn-3 years, will be held next Monday, February 17, from 9:30-10 a.m.
• Author John Hargis will visit the main branch and sign copies of his new book, The Wrath of Judge Lynch: Race Wars, on Tuesday, February 18 at 6:30 p.m.
• Patrons 18 and older are invited to participate in one of two Adult Crafternoon sessions on Wednesday, February 19 at 1 p.m. and 6 p.m. at the library. Participants will make their own snowman from a vase, which they can then take home. Call the library to register.
• Kids of all ages are invited to the library’s Children’s Mardi Gras Party on Saturday, February 22, from 10 a.m.-12 p.m. (open house format). The event will feature games, crafts and treats for children and their parents. Call the library to register.
Parker Branch (Hatfield) (812-359-4030)
• Preschool Storytime, for kids ages 3-Kindergarten, will be held Monday, February 17, at 1:30 p.m.
• Patrons 18 and older are invited to an Adult Crafternoon session on Thursday, February 20 at 3 p.m. Participants will make their own snowman from a vase, which they can then take home. Call the library to register.
Grandview Branch (812-649-9732)
• Preschool Storytime, for kids ages 3-Kindergarten, will be held Tuesday, February 18, at 9:30 a.m.
Dale American Legion Color Guard is available to conduct military graveside rites to honor veterans for their service. Call the Post Home at 812-937-4025 to request services, or Commander Don Daigle at 812-454-7079.
Indiana Legal Services, Inc. is a non-profit providing free, legal representation and advice to low-income people in noncriminal cases. For information call 1-800-852-3477. All information is confidential.
Public transportation is available in Spencer, Perry, Warrick, Dubois and neighboring counties. Call Ride Solutions at 1-877-369-8899. Hours are 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, except holidays.
Crisis Connection, Inc. operates a hot-line for battered and at-risk women, and other services. To seek help or to talk to someone who cares call 1-800-245-4580.