Arts and Entertainment
A beginner’s sewing class (level 1) will be offered at Traditional Arts Today, located at 314 W. 9th Street in Ferdinand, on Saturday, March 21 from 9:30 a.m.-12 p.m. EDT. The class is designed for anyone wanting to get started in the craft of sewing or needs a quick refresher course. Deb Souders and Patti Schroeder will lead the class. The fee to participate is $30, and advance payment is required to secure a spot in the class (stop by Traditional Arts Today or call 812-998-2487 to provide your billing info and to register).
“Somewhere Else”, an art exhibit with paints by Evansville artist Erika Navarrete, is on display at the University of Evansville’s Krannert Gallery now through April 5. The Krannert Gallery is located in the University’s Krannert Hall of Art and Music. The gallery’s hours are Monday-Saturday from 8 a.m.-8 p.m., and Sunday from 12-8 p.m. The exhibit is free and open to the public. For more information, contact the UE Art Department of Art at 812-488-2043, email email@example.com or visit the department’s Facebook page.
Tipsy Lucky Leprechaun Girls Night Out Wine and Bingo will be held Monday, March 16 at 6:30 p.m. at the American Legion Auxiliary Kapperman Unit 44 in Newburgh. Doors open at 4 p.m. Cost is $15 per pack (all games included). A cash bar will be available, and the kitchen will be open with a limited menu. Half pots, a purse raffle, giveaways and prizes will be part of the festivities. Bingo License 148542.
Derby Dinner Playhouse in Clarksville is currently presenting Saturday Night Fever the Musical through March 29. This musical adaptation of the popular 1970s film tells the story of a talented, streetwise kid from Brooklyn who attempts to escape his dead-end life through dance. For ticket information call 812-288-8281 or visit http://www.derbydinner.com.
Historic St. Boniface Parish, Fulda, will serve fish dinners on Friday, March 13 at the St. Boniface Parish Center from 3-7 p.m. Dinners are $10 each and include two boneless fish filets, German fries, macaroni and cheese, baked beans, slaw, bread, dessert and drink. Other menu item includes a fish sandwich for $4 each. Patrons can dine in or carry out. Proceeds will benefit the facilities of St. Boniface Parish Center.
The Ladies Sodality of St. John Chrysostom Catholic Church in New Boston will hold their annual rummage sale in the St. John Chrysostom Church hall on Friday, March 13 from 7 a.m.-5 p.m. and Saturday, March 14 from 7 a.m.-12 p.m.
St. Joseph Church in Dale will hold a Lenten fish dinner with fried fish on Friday, March 6 from 4-7 p.m. Cost is $9 for adults and $4 for kids.
Community Table, a mission ministry of Dale Presbyterian Church, serves a free meal year round, every Thursday evening except holidays, at the Micah Center, 6 North Main St. in Dale. Doors open at 4:30 p.m., meal served 5:30-6:30 p.m., doors close at 7 p.m.
Clubs and Meetings
Rockport American Legion Post 254 Legionnaires will meet Saturday, March 7 at 10 a.m. at the Post Home.
North Spencer School Board will meet Monday, March 9 at 4:30 p.m. at the corporation office in Lincoln City.
Santa Claus Town Council will meet Monday, March 9 at 5:30 p.m. at town hall.
South Spencer School Board will meet Monday, March 9 at 6 p.m. at South Spencer High School.
Dale American Legion Post 444 members will meet Monday, March 9 at at 6:30 p.m. at the Post Home.
Dale Town Council will meet Tuesday, March 10 at 6:30 p.m. at town hall.
Rockport City Council will meet Tuesday, March 10 at 4:30 p.m. at city hall.
Luce Township Regional Sewer District Board will meet Tuesday, March 10 at 6:30 p.m. at the office in Hatfield.
Richland Town Council will meet Wednesday, March 11 at 6 p.m. at Richland Methodist Church.
Dale Kiwanis meets every Monday from 12-1 p.m. at Jenk’s Pizza in Dale. Guests and new members are always welcome.
Kiwanis Club of South Spencer meets at Angelo’s Pizza every Tuesday from 11:45 a.m.-1 p.m.
Health and wellness
A Red Cross blood drive will be held Sunday, March 15 from 8 a.m.-12 p.m. at St. Nicholas Catholic Church in Santa Claus. All blood types, especially type O, are urgently needed. To make an appointment or for more information, download the free Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit RedCrossBlood.org, call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or enable the Blood Donor Skill on any Alexa Echo device.
Spencer County Council on Aging provides a SWIRCA meal at 11:30 a.m. Monday-Thursday in the Lincoln Manor Community Room, 714 Sycamore St., Rockport. Suggested donation is $3.50 for those 60 and older. Food stamps are accepted. Reservations must be called in 24 hours in advance at 812-649-9828. The meal site is closed on Fridays. Activities such as bingo and games are scheduled throughout the month after lunch.
Drug overdoses have become a leading cause of accidental death in the United States with heroin and other opiates being the largest contributor. Learn more about the signs of heroin addiction and how to make a difference by visiting http://www.narcononnewliferetreat.org/drug-rehab. Narconon can also help you take steps to overcome addiction in your family with free screenings or referrals; call 1-800-431-1754.
Lincoln Heritage Public Library:
Dale Branch (812-937-7170)
• A Tween Program, for kids in grades 3-5, will be held Saturday, March 7 from 10:30-11:30 a.m. Participants will be making DIY Squishies.
• Books & Brunch Book Club will meet Monday, March 9 from 10-11 a.m. to discuss Lord of the Flies by William Golding. New members (18 and older) always welcome.
• Dale Friends of LHPL will meet Monday, March 9 from 6-7 p.m. New members are always welcome in this group, which helps to plan and fundraise for all the library’s activities, events and programs.
• S.T.E.M. Challenge Club will meet Tuesday, March 10 from 3:30-4:45 p.m. Kids of all ages are welcome to join and participate in S.T.E.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) focused activities.
• A Crafty Party will be held for kids of all ages on Tuesday, March 10 from 6-7 p.m. Join Ms. Abby for an hour of making different crafts in celebration of National Craft Month. Messes will be made, so dress accordingly! No registration required.
• Bite-Sized Bookworms, a storytime for kids 3-6 years old, is offered every Tuesday from 9:30-10:15 a.m. and every Thursday from 10:45-11:30 a.m. Free and no registration required.
• Tiny Tales, a storytime for ages 6 months-35 months, is offered every Wednesday from 9:30-10 a.m. Free and no registration required.
• Music and Movement storytime is offered every Wednesday from 1-1:45 p.m. for kids age 3-6 years old. Free and no registration required.
• A “Not Your Mother’s Yoga” class is offered every Thursday from 9:15-10:15 a.m. This free class is for anyone 18 and older, and registration is recommended.
• Genealogy assistance is available to patrons every Wednesday from 1:30-4 p.m.
Chrisney Branch (812-362-8471)
• First Friday Family Fun will be held Friday, March 6 from 3:30-4:30 p.m. Spend some quality family time building kites. Registration is appreciated by calling the library.
• Patrons 18 and older are invited to a “Cooking with Your Waffle Iron” program on Tuesday, March 10 from 5-6 p.m. Bring a waffle iron, along with your favorite recipe and the ingredients, and cook at the library!
• S.T.E.M. Challenge Club will meet Thursday, March 12 from 3:30-4:45 p.m. Kids of all ages are welcome to join and participate in S.T.E.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) focused activities.
• Chrisney Pacemakers Walking Club will meet every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 5-6 p.m. Everyone is welcome; children under the age of eight must be accompanied by an adult.
• Bite-Sized Bookworms, a storytime for kids 3-6 years old, is offered every Monday from 10-10:45 a.m. Free and no registration required.
• Genealogy assistance is available to patrons on Mondays from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Free delivery services are available for all Lincoln Heritage Public Library area homebound residents in North Spencer. Patrons may request large print books, paperbacks, books on CD, music CDs, magazines, word puzzles and DVDs, as well as items for the visually impaired — all at no cost. Call Justine, Outreach Coordinator at 812-937-7170 to set up a visit.
Spencer County Public Library:
Rockport Branch (812-649-4866)
• Homeschool Hangout will be open Monday, March 9 at 1:30 p.m. This is a time for local homeschool families to meet, learn and engage with each other.
• Budding Bookworms, a reading time for kids ages 3-Kindergarten, will be held the next two Mondays and Wednesdays (March 9, 11, 16 and 18), and March 30, at 9:30 a.m.
• Little Wigglers, a reading time for little ones ages 0-3, will be held Mondays, March 9, 16 and 30 at 9:30 a.m.
• The monthly meeting of the Spencer County Library Board of Trustees will be held at the Rockport Branch on Tuesday, March 10 at 6 p.m. Meetings are open to the public.
• Kids ages 0-9 are invited to bring their stuffed animals to the library’s Stuffed Animal Sleepover on Tuesday, March 10. Kids can drop off their stuffed friend anytime during library hours on Tuesday for an overnight stay at the library and see photos of the sleepover on the library’s Facebook page and website. A memory book will be printed featuring the stuffed animals’ overnight adventures as well. Kids can then pick up their stuffed animals at 6 p.m. the following evening and enjoy a pajama family storytime. This program is free, but registration is required as space is limited. Call the library to sign up.
Parker Branch (Hatfield) (812-359-4030)
• Budding Bookworms, a reading time for kids ages 3-Kindergarten, will be held Mondays, March 9, 16 and 30 at 1:30 p.m.
• Crochet Club will meet Thursday, March 12 at 3 p.m. This club is for patrons 18 and older. Classes consist of learning how to hold the hook, maintain tension and basic stitches. Call Shannon at 812-359-4030 for more info.
Grandview Branch (812-649-9732)
• Budding Bookworms, a reading time for kids ages 3-Kindergarten, will be held Mondays, March 9, 16 and 30 at 9:30 a.m.
Marylee Vogel Branch (Richland) (812-359-4146)
• Book Club will meet Monday, March 9 to discuss The Supremes at Earl’s All-You-Can-Eat by Edward Kelsey Moore. New members (18 and older) always welcome.
Spencer County Solid Waste Management District office, located at 918 E CR 800N in Chrisney, will be open Saturday, March 7 from 8 a.m.–12 p.m. to accept e-waste (TVs, computers, etc.), tires and HHW items (paint/chemicals). A fee will be charged for e-waste and tires; HHW items are free. Cash only will be accepted for special program fees. No trash tags will be accepted. For more information, contact the SWMD office at 812-362-7401.
New Boston Fire Department Ladies Auxiliary will host its annual Famous Soup sale on Sunday, March 8 at the New Boston Fire Department. Carry-out only will begin at 8 a.m. Cost is $15 per gallon. Bring own containers. To pre-order, call Reggie at 812-547-8738 or Terri at 812-549-6781. All proceeds will benefit the New Boston Volunteer Fire Department.
Crisis Connection, Inc. operates a hot-line for battered and at-risk women, and other services. To seek help or to talk to someone who cares call 1-800-245-4580.
Dale American Legion Color Guard is available to conduct military graveside rites to honor veterans for their service. Call the Post Home at 812-937-4025 to request services, or Commander Don Daigle at 812-454-7079.
Indiana Legal Services, Inc. is a non-profit providing free, legal representation and advice to low-income people in noncriminal cases. For information call 1-800-852-3477. All information is confidential.
Public transportation is available in Spencer, Perry, Warrick, Dubois and neighboring counties. Call Ride Solutions at 1-877-369-8899. Hours are 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, except holidays.