Arts and Entertainment
St. Meinrad American Legion Post 366 will host a Valentine Dine and Dance on Saturday, February 15. Admission price of $15 includes a meal, drinks and the dance. The meal will be served at 5 p.m. Music will be provided by The Sweetwater Band. Reservations are required by calling 812-357-7834, 812-357-5121 or 812-357-5583.
“Gospel at the Phil” returns to the Evansville Philharmonic Orchestra on Sunday, February 16 at 4 p.m. at the Victory Theatre in Evansville. The concert will feature members of the Philharmonic Chorus as well as singers from Evansville area churches. Adult tickets start at $31 and can be purchased by calling the Philharmonic Box Office at 812-425-5050 or by ordering online at www.evansvillephilharmonic.org. Tickets can also be purchased at the door, two hours prior to the concert. Discounted tickets are available for seniors, military, and age 18-39 attendees by calling the box office. Student Rush tickets are available for $10 at the door, one hour prior to concert.
“Hustle and Bustle,” an exhibit of paintings by Louisville, KY, artist Kayla Bischoff, is on display now through February 28 at the Saint Meinrad Archabbey Library Gallery, St. Meinrad. Bischoff creates multi-layered compositions that combine figuration and abstraction, exploring individual and social psychology. For library hours, call 812-357-6401 or 800-987-7311 or visit www.saintmeinrad.edu/library/library-hours/. The exhibit is free and open to the public. Those wishing to view the exhibit may want to arrive at least 30 minutes before closing time.
Cornerstone United Methodist Church in Chrisney is having a fundraising soup and salad luncheon on Sunday, February 9, from 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. The menu is chili, chicken noodle and potato soups; hot dogs, chicken salad, and pimento cheese sandwiches, various desserts, coffee, tea and lemonade. The luncheon is open to the general public and free-will offerings will be accepted.
Community Table, a mission ministry of Dale Presbyterian Church, serves a free meal year round, every Thursday evening except holidays, at the Micah Center, 6 North Main St. in Dale. Doors open at 4:30 p.m., meal served 5:30-6:30 p.m., doors close at 7 p.m.
Mt. Olive United Methodist Church, south of Gentryville, has services on Sunday at 9 a.m.; a children’s Bible study at 9:30 a.m.; and an adult Bible study at 10:15 a.m.
St. Meinrad Baptist Church, 12913 Main Street, holds Sunday school at 9:15 a.m., worship at 10:30 a.m. and a Wednesday service at 6 p.m.
Clubs and Meetings
Santa Claus Town Council will meet Monday, February 10 at 5:30 p.m. at town hall.
South Spencer School Board will meet Monday, February 10 at 6 p.m. at South Spencer High School.
North Spencer School Board will meet Monday, February 10 at 6 p.m. at the corporation office in Lincoln City.
Dale American Legion Post 444 members will meet Monday, February 10, at 6 p.m. at the Post home.
Rockport City Council will meet Thursday, February 13 at 5:30 p.m. at city hall. The Board of Public Works will meet prior at 4:30 p.m.
Dale Town Council will meet Tuesday, February 11 at 6:30 p.m. at town hall.
Luce Township Regional Sewer District will meet Tuesday, February 11 at 6:30 p.m. at the district office in Hatfield.
Richland Town Council will meet Wednesday, February 12 at 6 p.m. at Richland Methodist Church.
Dale Kiwanis meets every Monday from 12-1 p.m. at Jenk’s Pizza in Dale. Guests and new members are always welcome.
Kiwanis Club of South Spencer meets at Angelo’s Pizza every Tuesday from 11:45 a.m.-1 p.m.
Health and wellness
Free childhood immunizations will be provided by the Spencer County Health Department on Tuesday, February 11 from 8-10 a.m. at the Community Action Center in Dale and on Thursday, February 13 from 8 a.m.-3 p.m. at the Health Department in Rockport. Appointments are preferred by calling 812-649-4441. Bring your child’s shot record and insurance card to file your insurance.
Spencer County Council on Aging provides a SWIRCA meal at 11:30 a.m. Monday-Thursday in the Lincoln Manor Community Room, 714 Sycamore St., Rockport. Suggested donation is $3.50 for those 60 and older. Food stamps are accepted. Reservations must be called in 24 hours in advance at 812-649-9828. The meal site is closed on Fridays. Activities such as bingo and games are scheduled throughout the month after lunch.
Drug overdoses have become a leading cause of accidental death in the United States with heroin and other opiates being the largest contributor. Learn more about the signs of heroin addiction and how to make a difference by visiting www.narcononnewliferetreat.org/drug-rehab. Narconon can also help you take steps to overcome addiction in your family with free screenings or referrals; call 1-800-431-1754.
Lincoln Heritage Public Library:
Dale Branch (812-937-7170)
• Books & Brunch Book Club will meet Monday, February 10 from 10-11 a.m. to discuss I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou. New members (18 and older) always welcome.
• S.T.E.M. Challenge Club will meet Tuesday, February 11 from 3:30-4:45 p.m. Kids of all ages are welcome to participate.
• Kids of all ages are invited to the library’s “Leap into Love” Valentine’s Day party on Thursday, February 13 from 6-7 p.m. A variety of games will be played, and kids will be leaping, jumping and hopping for Valentine’s Day! There will also be a few crafts kids can make and take home from the party. No registration is required.
• Bite-Sized Bookworms, a storytime for kids 3-6 years old, is offered every Tuesday from 9:30-10:15 a.m. and every Thursday from 10:45-11:30 a.m. Free and no registration required.
• Tiny Tales, a storytime for ages 6 months-35 months, is offered every Wednesday from 9:30-10 a.m. Free and no registration required.
• Music and Movement storytime is offered every Wednesday from 1-1:45 p.m. for kids age 3-6 years old. Free and no registration required.
• A “Not Your Mother’s Yoga” class is offered every Thursday from 9:15-10:15 a.m. This free class is for anyone 18 and older, and registration is recommended.
• Genealogy assistance is available to patrons every Wednesday from 1:30-4 p.m.
Chrisney Branch (812-362-8471)
• First Friday Family Fun will be held Friday, February 7 from 3:30-4:30 p.m. The theme for this month’s event is “Let’s Feed the Birds.” Participants will get to create their own winter bird-feeders. All ages are invited. Registration is appreciated by calling or stopping by the library.
• A “Lovin’ from the Oven” recipe swap will be held Tuesday, February 11 from 5-6 p.m. Participants should bring their favorite oven recipe along with samples to share. This event is open to patrons 18 and older.
• S.T.E.M. Challenge Club will meet Thursday, February 13 from 3:30-4:45 p.m. Kids of all ages are invited to attend.
• Bite-Sized Bookworms, a storytime for kids 3-6 years old, is offered every Monday from 10-10:45 a.m. Free and no registration required.
• Genealogy assistance is available to patrons on Mondays from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Free delivery services are available for all Lincoln Heritage Public Library area homebound residents in North Spencer. Patrons may request large print books, paperbacks, books on CD, music CDs, magazines, word puzzles and DVDs, as well as items for the visually impaired — all at no cost. Call Justine, Outreach Coordinator at 812-937-7170 to set up a visit.
Spencer County Public Library:
Rockport Branch (812-649-4866)
• The library board of directors will meet Tuesday, February 11 from 6-7:30 p.m. at the Rockport branch. Meetings are open to the public.
• Preschool Storytime, for kids ages 3-Kindergarten, is held on Mondays and Tuesdays from 9:30-10 a.m.
• Baby & Toddler Storytime, for little ones newborn-3 years, is held on Mondays from 9:30-10 a.m.
Marylee Vogel Branch (Richland) (812-359-4146)
• Book Club will meet Monday, February 10 from 1:30-3 p.m. New members (18 and older) always welcome.
Parker Branch (Hatfield) (812-359-4030)
• Crochet Club will meet Thursday, February 13 from 3-5 p.m. Call the library for more information.
• Preschool Storytime, for kids ages 3-Kindergarten, is held on Mondays at 1:30 p.m.
Grandview Branch (812-649-9732)
• Preschool Storytime, for kids ages 3-Kindergarten, is held on Tuesdays at 9:30 a.m.
Dale American Legion Color Guard is available to conduct military graveside rites to honor veterans for their service. Call the Post Home at 812-937-4025 to request services, or Commander Don Daigle at 812-454-7079.
Indiana Legal Services, Inc. is a non-profit providing free, legal representation and advice to low-income people in noncriminal cases. For information call 1-800-852-3477. All information is confidential.
Public transportation is available in Spencer, Perry, Warrick, Dubois and neighboring counties. Call Ride Solutions at 1-877-369-8899. Hours are 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, except holidays.
Crisis Connection, Inc. operates a hot-line for battered and at-risk women, and other services. To seek help or to talk to someone who cares call 1-800-245-4580.