Arts and Entertainment
“Fishing for Plankton”, an exhibit by Jeff Bender, Efroymson Foundation Artist-in-Residence, is on display at the University of Evansville’s Melvin Peterson Gallery now through February 29. On Thursday, February 6, there will be a reception at 6:30 p.m. and a lecture by the artist at 7 p.m. at the gallery. These events are free and open to the public. The Melvin Peterson Gallery is located at 1935 Lincoln Avenue in Evansville. Gallery hours are Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Saturday from 12-3 p.m. and Wednesday and Thursday from 12-6 p.m.
Totally ’80s Totally Murder Mystery Dinner will be held at the Owensboro Convention Center in Owensboro, KY, on Friday, January 31. Doors open at 6 p.m. for cocktails, dinner starts at 6:30 p.m., and the murder mystery will follow. Guests will enjoy a buffet dinner and live interactive experience of solving a murder crime with a unique 1980s theme. Guests are encouraged to wear ’80s attire, but regular attire is welcome, too. Tickets are $69 per person or two for $120. Additional processing fees apply to all ticket sales. Reservations only; send seating requests to email@example.com or call 270-687-8800 for more information.
St. Meinrad American Legion Post 366 will host a Valentine Dine & Dance on Saturday, February 15. Admission price of $15 includes a meal, drinks and the dance. The meal will be served at 5 p.m. Music will be provided by The Sweetwater Band. Reservations are required by calling 812-357-7834, 812-357-5121 or 812-357-5583.
“Hustle and Bustle,” an exhibit of paintings by Louisville, KY, artist Kayla Bischoff, is on display now through February 28 at the Saint Meinrad Archabbey Library Gallery, St. Meinrad. Bischoff creates multi-layered compositions that combine figuration and abstraction, exploring individual and social psychology. Informed by the anxieties of the zeitgeist, her paintings are also playful and approachable. For library hours, call 812-357-6401 or 800-987-7311 or visit www.saintmeinrad.edu/library/library-hours/. The exhibit is free and open to the public. Those wishing to view the exhibit may want to arrive at least 30 minutes before closing time.
A free, all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast, sponsored by Chrisney Baptist Church, will be held at the Spencer County Youth & Community Center in Chrisney this Saturday, January 25 from 7-10:30 a.m. Donations will be accepted, and all proceeds will benefit Chemo Buddies, an organization where volunteers work in chemotherapy treatment rooms directly with patients, making the treatment day a more comfortable experience. For more information call Chrisney Baptist Church at 812-362-8390.
Community Table, a mission ministry of Dale Presbyterian Church, serves a free meal year round, every Thursday evening except holidays, at the Micah Center, 6 North Main St. in Dale. Doors open at 4:30 p.m., meal served 5:30-6:30 p.m., doors close at 7 p.m.
Cornerstone United Methodist Church, located at 1407 E County Road 800 N in Chrisney, holds services at 10 a.m. on Sundays and Sunday School for all ages at 9 a.m. Pastor is Clint Fink.
Dale Bible Church, located at 300 E. Vine Street, holds Sunday morning worship at 10 a.m., Sunday School at 9 a.m. and a Sunday evening service at 6 p.m. Visit www.dalebiblechurch.org for more info.
Clubs and Meetings
North Spencer School Board will meet Monday, January 27 at 6 p.m. at the corporation office in Lincoln City.
Dale American Legion Post 444 members will meet Monday, January 27 at 6 p.m. at the Post Home.
Grandview Civic Association will hold its regular monthly meeting on Tuesday, January 28 at 7 p.m. at the Civic Center. The program will be given on a Civil War Sword being returned to Grandview after 150 years. Justin Grose, a member of the Spencer County Historical Society, will discuss the history behind the sword, owned by Capt. Albert Verhoeff, and how it found its way back home. Refreshments will be served and the public is invited to attend.
Indiana 15 Regional Planning Commission’s Board of Directors will meet Tuesday, January 28, at 7:30 p.m. EST at the Indiana 15 RPC office, located at 221 E. First Street in Ferdinand.
Alpha Phi Chapter of Delta Kappa Gamma will meet Saturday, February 1 at 10 a.m. at Winzerwald Winery. Business includes submission of names of candidates for Grant-in-Aid, new membership recommendations and nominations of new officers. Hostesses are Francie Wagner and Joan Grose. Delta Kappa Gamma is an honorary society of women educators. Alpha Phi Chapter serves Perry and Spencer counties.
Dale Kiwanis meets every Monday from 12-1 p.m. at Jenk’s Pizza in Dale. Guests and new members are always welcome.
Kiwanis Club of South Spencer meets at Angelo’s Pizza every Tuesday from 11:45 a.m.-1 p.m.
Health and wellness
Red Cross blood drives will be held Monday, January 27 from 2-7 p.m. at Luce Elementary School in Richland and from 3-7 p.m. at Dale United Methodist Church in Dale, and on Thursday, January 30 from 1-6 p.m. at Lincoln Trail Elementary in Lamar and 1-6 p.m. at Santa Claus United Methodist Church in Santa Claus. All blood types are needed to ensure a reliable supply for patients. To make an appointment to donate or for more information, call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767), download the Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit RedCrossBlood.org, or enable the Blood Donor Skill on any Alexa Echo device.
Free childhood immunizations will be offered by the Spencer County Health Department on Tuesday, January 28 from 8-10 a.m. at the Community Action Center in Dale and on Thursday, January 30 from 8 a.m.-3 p.m. at the Health Department in Rockport. Appointments are preferred by calling 812-649-4441. Bring your child’s shot record and insurance card to file your insurance.
Spencer County Council on Aging provides a SWIRCA meal at 11:30 a.m. Monday-Thursday in the Lincoln Manor Community Room, 714 Sycamore St., Rockport. Suggested donation is $3.50 for those 60 and older. Food stamps are accepted. Reservations must be called in 24 hours in advance at 812-649-9828. The meal site is closed on Fridays. Activities such as bingo and games are scheduled throughout the month after lunch.
Drug overdoses have become a leading cause of accidental death in the United States with heroin and other opiates being the largest contributor. Learn more about the signs of heroin addiction and how to make a difference by visiting www.narcononnewliferetreat.org/drug-rehab. Narconon can also help you take steps to overcome addiction in your family with free screenings or referrals; call 1-800-431-1754.
Lincoln Heritage Public Library:
Dale Branch (812-937-7170)
• A Board Game Play Day will be held Tuesday, January 28 from 3:30-4:45 p.m. All ages are invited. Call the library for more info.
• Bite-Sized Bookworms, a storytime for kids 3-6 years old, is offered every Tuesday from 9:30-10:15 a.m. and every Thursday from 10:45-11:30 a.m. Free and no registration required.
• Tiny Tales, a storytime for ages 6 months-35 months, is offered every Wednesday from 9:30-10 a.m. Free and no registration required.
• Music and Movement storytime is offered every Wednesday from 1-1:45 p.m. for kids age 3-6 years old. Free and no registration required.
• A “Not Your Mother’s Yoga” class is offered every Thursday from 9:15-10:15 a.m. This free class is for anyone 18 and older, and registration is recommended.
• Genealogy assistance is available to patrons every Wednesday from 1:30-4 p.m.
Chrisney Branch (812-362-8471)
• Adult patrons are invited to an hour of crafting on Monday, January 27 from 6-7 p.m. Participants should bring a grapevine wreath and will make a Valentine wreath during the session. This event is free, but registration is requested by calling the library.
• Chrisney Friends of LHPL will meet Tuesday, January 28 from 5-6 p.m. New members (18 and older) are always welcome to join this group, which helps plan and fundraise for all the library’s events, programs and activities.
• A Board Game Play Day will be held Thursday, January 30 from 3:30-4:45 p.m. All ages are invited. Call the library for more info.
• Bite-Sized Bookworms, a storytime for kids 3-6 years old, is offered every Monday from 10-10:45 a.m. Free and no registration required.
• Genealogy assistance is available to patrons on Mondays from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Free delivery services are available for all Lincoln Heritage Public Library area homebound residents in North Spencer. Patrons may request large print books, paperbacks, books on CD, music CDs, magazines, word puzzles and DVDs, as well as items for the visually impaired — all at no cost. Call Justine, Outreach Coordinator at 812-937-7170 to set up a visit.
Spencer County Public Library:
Rockport Branch (812-649-4866)
• Homeschool Hangout will be held Monday, January 27 from 1:30-2:30 p.m. This is a time for local homeschool families to meet, learn and engage with one another.
• Preschool Storytime, for kids ages 3-Kindergarten, will be held Monday, January 27 and Tuesday, January 28, at 9:30 a.m.
• Baby & Toddler Storytime, for little ones newborn-3 years, will be offered Monday, January 27, at 9:30 a.m.
Marylee Vogel Branch (Richland) (812-359-4146)
Parker Branch (Hatfield) (812-359-4030)
• Preschool Storytime, for kids ages 3-Kindergarten, will be held Monday, January 27, at 1:30 p.m.
Grandview Branch (812-649-9732)
• Preschool Storytime, for kids ages 3-Kindergarten, will be held Tuesday, January 28, at 9:30 a.m.
Dale American Legion Color Guard is available to conduct military graveside rites to honor veterans for their service. Call the Post Home at 812-937-4025 to request services, or Commander Don Daigle at 812-454-7079.
Indiana Legal Services, Inc. is a non-profit providing free, legal representation and advice to low-income people in noncriminal cases. For information call 1-800-852-3477. All information is confidential.
Public transportation is available in Spencer, Perry, Warrick, Dubois and neighboring counties. Call Ride Solutions at 1-877-369-8899. Hours are 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, except holidays.
Crisis Connection, Inc. operates a hot-line for battered and at-risk women, and other services. To seek help or to talk to someone who cares call 1-800-245-4580.