Arts and Entertainment
St. Meinrad American Legion Post 366 will host a Valentine Dine and Dance on Saturday, February 15. Admission price of $15 includes a meal, drinks and the dance. The meal will be served at 5 p.m. Music will be provided by The Sweetwater Band. Reservations are required by calling 812-357-7834, 812-357-5121 or 812-357-5583.
“Gospel at the Phil” returns to the Evansville Philharmonic Orchestra on Sunday, February 16 at 4 p.m. at the Victory Theatre in Evansville. The concert will feature members of the Philharmonic Chorus as well as singers from Evansville area churches. Adult tickets start at $31 and can be purchased by calling the Philharmonic Box Office at 812-425-5050 or by ordering online at www.evansvillephilharmonic.org. Tickets can also be purchased at the door, two hours prior to the concert. Discounted tickets are available for seniors, military, and age 18-39 attendees by calling the box office. Student Rush tickets are available for $10 at the door, one hour prior to concert.
“Hustle and Bustle,” an exhibit of paintings by Louisville, KY, artist Kayla Bischoff, is on display now through February 28 at the Saint Meinrad Archabbey Library Gallery, St. Meinrad. Bischoff creates multi-layered compositions that combine figuration and abstraction, exploring individual and social psychology. For library hours, call 812-357-6401 or 800-987-7311 or visit www.saintmeinrad.edu/library/library-hours/. The exhibit is free and open to the public. Those wishing to view the exhibit may want to arrive at least 30 minutes before closing time.
Community Table, a mission ministry of Dale Presbyterian Church, serves a free meal year round, every Thursday evening except holidays, at the Micah Center, 6 North Main St. in Dale. Doors open at 4:30 p.m., meal served 5:30-6:30 p.m., doors close at 7 p.m.
St. John’s Lutheran-LCMS, 12308 E CR 1160 N in Evanston, holds Sunday school at 8:30 a.m. and worship at 9:30 a.m.
Dale United Methodist Church holds Sunday worship at 10 a.m., Sunday school at 9 a.m. and Bible study on Mondays at 6:30 pm.
Clubs and Meetings
Alpha Phi Chapter of Delta Kappa Gamma will meet Saturday, February 1 at 10 a.m. at Winzerwald Winery. Business includes submission of names of candidates for Grant-in-Aid, new membership recommendations and nominations of new officers. Hostesses are Francie Wagner and Joan Grose. Delta Kappa Gamma is an honorary society of women educators. Alpha Phi Chapter serves Perry and Spencer counties.
Rockport American Legion Post 254 Legionnaires will meet Saturday, February 1 at 10 a.m. at the post home.
Chrisney Town Council will meet Monday, February 3 at 7 p.m. at town hall.
Gentryville Town Council will meet Tuesday, February 4 at 6 p.m. at town hall.
Spencer County Commissioners will meet Tuesday, February 4 at 2 p.m. in the Commissioners’ Room of the Courthouse.
Dale Kiwanis meets every Monday from 12-1 p.m. at Jenk’s Pizza in Dale. Guests and new members are always welcome.
Kiwanis Club of South Spencer meets at Angelo’s Pizza every Tuesday from 11:45 a.m.-1 p.m.
Health and wellness
A Red Cross blood drive will be held Thursday, February 6 from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. at St. Meinrad School of Theology, located at 200 Hill Drive in St. Meinrad. All blood types are needed to ensure a reliable supply for patients. To make an appointment to donate or for more information, call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767), download the Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit RedCrossBlood.org, or enable the Blood Donor Skill on any Alexa Echo device.
Spencer County Council on Aging provides a SWIRCA meal at 11:30 a.m. Monday-Thursday in the Lincoln Manor Community Room, 714 Sycamore St., Rockport. Suggested donation is $3.50 for those 60 and older. Food stamps are accepted. Reservations must be called in 24 hours in advance at 812-649-9828. The meal site is closed on Fridays. Activities such as bingo and games are scheduled throughout the month after lunch.
Drug overdoses have become a leading cause of accidental death in the United States with heroin and other opiates being the largest contributor. Learn more about the signs of heroin addiction and how to make a difference by visiting www.narcononnewliferetreat.org/drug-rehab. Narconon can also help you take steps to overcome addiction in your family with free screenings or referrals; call 1-800-431-1754.
Lincoln Heritage Public Library:
Dale Branch (812-937-7170)
• Adult patrons are invited to make a surprise winter craft at the library from 6-7 p.m. on Monday, February 3. All materials will be provided by the Dale Friends of LHPL.
• Kids Crafternoon Club will meet Tuesday, February 4 from 3:30-4:45 p.m. Kids of all ages are welcome to join and participate.
• Don’t like Valentine’s Day? Kids in grades 6-12 are invited to the library’s Un-Valentine’s Day party on Tuesday, February 4 from 6-7 p.m. Attendees will get to play minute-to-win-it style games, enjoy snacks and more.
• Homeschool Thursday will take place Thursday, February 6 from 1-2:30 p.m. This program is an opportunity for local homeschool families with kids age 2-18 years to meet, network and socialize with one another.
• Bite-Sized Bookworms, a storytime for kids 3-6 years old, is offered every Tuesday from 9:30-10:15 a.m. and every Thursday from 10:45-11:30 a.m. Free and no registration required.
• Tiny Tales, a storytime for ages 6 months-35 months, is offered every Wednesday from 9:30-10 a.m. Free and no registration required.
• Music and Movement storytime is offered every Wednesday from 1-1:45 p.m. for kids age 3-6 years old. Free and no registration required.
• A “Not Your Mother’s Yoga” class is offered every Thursday from 9:15-10:15 a.m. This free class is for anyone 18 and older, and registration is recommended.
• Genealogy assistance is available to patrons every Wednesday from 1:30-4 p.m.
Chrisney Branch (812-362-8471)
• Kids Crafternoon Club will meet Thursday, February 6 from 3:30-4:45 p.m. Kids of all ages are welcome to join and participate.
• First Friday Family Fun will be held Friday, February 7 from 3:30-4:30 p.m. The theme for this month’s event is “Let’s Feed the Birds.” Participants will get to create their own winter bird-feeders. All ages are invited. Registration is appreciated by calling or stopping by the library.
• Bite-Sized Bookworms, a storytime for kids 3-6 years old, is offered every Monday from 10-10:45 a.m. Free and no registration required.
• Genealogy assistance is available to patrons on Mondays from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Free delivery services are available for all Lincoln Heritage Public Library area homebound residents in North Spencer. Patrons may request large print books, paperbacks, books on CD, music CDs, magazines, word puzzles and DVDs, as well as items for the visually impaired — all at no cost. Call Justine, Outreach Coordinator at 812-937-7170 to set up a visit.
Spencer County Public Library:
Rockport Branch (812-649-4866)
• Book Club will meet Friday, February 7 from 1-3 p.m. New members (18 and older) always welcome. Call the library for more info.
• Preschool Storytime, for kids ages 3-Kindergarten, is held on Mondays and Tuesdays from 9:30-10 a.m.
• Baby & Toddler Storytime, for little ones newborn-3 years, is held on Mondays from 9:30-10 a.m.
Marylee Vogel Branch (Richland) (812-359-4146)
• Adult patrons are invited to a recipe swap at the library on Thursday, February 6 from 5-6 p.m. Call the library for more info and to sign up.
Parker Branch (Hatfield) (812-359-4030)
• Preschool Storytime, for kids ages 3-Kindergarten, is held on Mondays at 1:30 p.m.
Grandview Branch (812-649-9732)
• Preschool Storytime, for kids ages 3-Kindergarten, is held on Tuesdays at 9:30 a.m.
Dale American Legion Color Guard is available to conduct military graveside rites to honor veterans for their service. Call the Post Home at 812-937-4025 to request services, or Commander Don Daigle at 812-454-7079.
Indiana Legal Services, Inc. is a non-profit providing free, legal representation and advice to low-income people in noncriminal cases. For information call 1-800-852-3477. All information is confidential.
Public transportation is available in Spencer, Perry, Warrick, Dubois and neighboring counties. Call Ride Solutions at 1-877-369-8899. Hours are 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, except holidays.
Crisis Connection, Inc. operates a hot-line for battered and at-risk women, and other services. To seek help or to talk to someone who cares call 1-800-245-4580.