Arts and Entertainment
Friday After 5, Owensboro’s free summer concert series, continues this Friday, July 26. The band 2 Miles Back will perform southern and classic rock from 6:30-10 p.m. on the Jagoe Homes Patio Stage at the BB&T Plaza at RiverPark Center. Cynthia Murray will take the stage with acoustic music from 7-10 p.m. in the Atmos Energy Courtyard. And tri-state favorite Louisville Crashers will perform from 8-11:30 p.m. at the Kentucky Legend Pier at the Owensboro Convention Center.
Ben and Noel Haggard, sons of country music legend Merle Haggard, will perform in concert at Lincoln Amphitheatre in Lincoln City on Saturday, August 10. Doors open at 5 p.m., opening act Abigail Rose will perform at 6:30 p.m., and Ben and Noel Haggard will take the stage at 7:30. General admission tickets are $23.95 and can be purchased online at www.eventbrite.com, or (if still available) at the box office the night of the performance.
Saint Meinrad Archabbey Library Gallery is currently hosting an exhibit of icons and drawings by Br. Michael Moran, CP. The show will run through August 30. Although Br. Michael is proficient in many media, one of his specialties is painting icons, which are very stylized, flat and almost two-dimensional when compared to their western cousins. Usually painted on wooden panels with gold leaf backgrounds and halos, icons are colorful. For library hours, call (812) 357-6401 or (800) 987-7311, or visit www.saintmeinrad.edu/library/library-hours/. The exhibit is free and open to the public. Those wishing to view the exhibit may want to arrive at least 30 minutes before closing time.
Zion United Church of Christ, located at 23 College Street in Chrisney, will hold its summer social on Saturday, July 27. A buffet meal of fried chicken and ham with all the trimmings will be served from 4:30-6 p.m., and homemade ice cream and pies will also be available.
Dale United Methodist Church, located at 1 West Elm Street in Dale, is having a church-wide rummage sale on Thursday, August 1 from 4-7 p.m.; Friday, August 2 from 8 a.m.-6 p.m.; and Saturday, August 3 from 8 a.m.-12 p.m. For sale will be clothing for men, women and children; books; household items; shoes; purses; CDs; electronics; furniture; and lots of miscellaneous items. All items will be priced to sell. Proceeds will benefit church missions projects.
Community Table, a mission ministry of Dale Presbyterian Church, serves a free meal year round, every Thursday evening except holidays, at the Micah Center, 6 North Main St. in Dale. Doors open at 4:30 p.m., meal served 5:30-6:30 p.m., doors close at 7 p.m.
Trinity United Methodist Church is seeking mementos such as photographs, quilts and other items associated with the church in preparation for the 150th year anniversary of the main sanctuary’s construction. For more information or to make arrangements for a temporary loan of such items to be displayed during the celebration, call Mickey Woolsey (812-649-4752), Mary Anne Parker (812-649-4178) or Committee Chair Jim Hancock (812-649-4689).
St. John’s Lutheran-LCMS, 12308 E CR 1160 N in Evanston, holds Sunday school at 8:30 a.m. and worship at 9:30 a.m.
Clubs and Meetings
With no pressing business to conduct, there will be no July meeting of the Executive Board of the Indiana 15 Regional Planning Commission.
Dale Kiwanis meets every Monday from 12-1 p.m. at Jenk’s Pizza in Dale. Guests and new members are always welcome.
Kiwanis Club of South Spencer meets at Angelo’s Pizza every Tuesday from 11:45 a.m.-1 p.m.
Health and wellness
Spencer County Council on Aging provides a SWIRCA meal at 11:30 a.m. Monday-Thursday in the Lincoln Manor Community Room, 714 Sycamore St., Rockport. Suggested donation is $3.50 for those 60 and older. Food stamps are accepted. Reservations must be called in 24 hours in advance at 812-649-9828. The meal site is closed on Fridays. Activities such as bingo and games are scheduled throughout the month after lunch.
Drug overdoses have become a leading cause of accidental death in the United States with heroin and other opiates being the largest contributor. Learn more about the signs of heroin addiction and how to make a difference by visiting www.narcononnewliferetreat.org/drug-rehab. Narconon can also help you take steps to overcome addiction in your family with free screenings or referrals; call 1-800-431-1754.
Lincoln Heritage Public Library:
Dale Branch (812-937-7170)
• A Scholastic Book Fair is currently being held at the library during regular hours through Friday, July 26. Checks, cash and charge will be accepted, and summer readers can bring their reading “Backstage Passes” to spend. The book fair is open to everyone and is a great time to buy birthday, Christmas and “just because” gifts.
• Adult patrons are invited to make their own “tissue paper bleeding painting” birds on canvas on Tuesday, July 30 from 6-7 p.m. Registration recommended. All materials will be provided by the Dale Friends of LHPL.
• A “Not Your Mother’s Yoga” class will be held every Thursday in August (beginning August 1) from 9:15-10:15 a.m. This free class is for anyone 18 and older, and registration is recommended.
• Genealogy assistance is available to patrons every Wednesday from 1-4 p.m.
Chrisney Branch (812-362-8471)
• “It’s Your Turn” Outdoor Fun and Games is offered at the library every Tuesday through July. The 1-3 p.m. program is for kids 3-10 years old, while the 4-5 p.m. program is for kids 11-16 years old. Children in the younger program must be accompanied by an adult. The event includes a mix of outdoor toys and games, including bubbles, sidewalk chalk, cornhole, jump ropes, parachute, frisbees, hopscotch, life size board games, scavenger hunts and more.
• Happy Bookers Book Club will meet Thursday, July 25 from 10-11 a.m. to discuss Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens. New members (18 and older) always welcome.
• A Rhythm Makers: Building Music program will be held Wednesday, July 31 from 1-3 p.m. Kids ages 3-12 are welcome to stop by and help Ms. Litha with a wonderful outside creation!
• A First Friday Family Fun back-to-school bash will take place at the library on Friday, August 2 from 1:30-4:30 p.m. All ages are invited to this event; share recipes for after-school snacks and participate in activities for a great new school year! Registration is recommended.
• Chrisney Pacemakers Walking Club meets every Thursday from 5-6 p.m. at the library. All ages are welcome to join.
• Genealogy assistance is available to patrons on Mondays from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Free delivery services are available for all Lincoln Heritage Public Library area homebound residents in North Spencer. Patrons may request large print books, paperbacks, books on CD, music CDs, magazines, word puzzles and DVDs, as well as items for the visually impaired — all at no cost. Call Justine, Outreach Coordinator at 812-937-7170 to set up a visit.
Spencer County Public Library:
Main Branch (Rockport) (812-649-4866)
• Book Club will meet Friday, August 2 from 1-3 p.m. to discuss The Secrets Between Us by Thrity Umrigar. New members (18 and older) always welcome.
• A Baby and Toddler Reading Program is offered every Monday from 9-9:30 a.m. and 10-10:30 a.m. for ages 0-35 months.
• Star Reader Storytime, for kids ages 3-8 years, is offered on Mondays from 9-9:45 a.m. and 10-10:45 a.m. and Wednesdays from 9:30-10:15 a.m.
• A Tween Reading Program, for kids 9-11 years, is offered on Tuesdays from 11-11:45 a.m.
• Kids ages 12-17 years are invited to the Teen Reading Program, offered every Thursday from 10-10:45 a.m.
Marylee Vogel Branch (Richland) (812-359-4146)
• Star Reader Storytime, for kids ages 3-8 years, is offered on Thursdays from 9:30-10:15 a.m.
Grandview Branch (812-649-9732)
• Kids can enjoy a free movie at the library on Thursday, July 25 at 1 p.m. Call the library for more information.
• Star Reader Storytime, for kids ages 3-8 years, is offered on Tuesdays from 9:30-10:15 a.m.
Parker Branch (Hatfield) (812-359-4030)
• Star Reader Storytime, for kids ages 3-8 years, is offered on Mondays from 1:30-2:15 p.m.
Spencer County Hospice will host a barbecue chicken dinner fundraiser for the nonprofit on Saturday, July 27. Dinners with two sides are available for $10 per meal or 1/2 of a smoked chicken for $8. Pick-up will be available from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at the Smokestack located next to Rockport Trading Center. Tickets may be purchased from any board member or by calling the office at 812-649-9151.
Spencer County Council on Aging is sponsoring a one-day bus trip to Busch Stadium for a St. Louis Cardinals game on Saturday, August 31. Cost is $80 per person, and game time is 12:15 p.m. CDT. For more information, call 812-649-9828.
A Greene family reunion will be held on July 28 at Oakridge Campground in Rockport. Those planning to attend are asked to bring their special dishes for everyone to try. Meal will begin at 12 p.m. Questions should be directed to Roxie at 812-686-1436.
The South Spencer class of 1979 is having its 40th class reunion August 31 at the Rustic in Rockport. The reunion social hour begins at 6 p.m. and the buffet will begin at 7 p.m. Entertainment will be provided. RSVP by contacting Lisa Kirkpatrick Cox at LisaJaneKC@gmail.com or the Facebook page “South Spencer Rebels Class of 1979”. A goodwill donation will be accepted to help cover the cost of the reunion.
Descendants of Hilary Gramelspacher will hold a family reunion on Sunday, September 1 at 12 p.m. at The Depot on 7th street in Tell City. The meal will be a potluck, so attendees are asked to bring tableware, drinks and two covered dishes. For further info, call 812-649-9373.
Crisis Connection, Inc. operates a hot-line for battered and at-risk women, and other services. To seek help or to talk to someone who cares call 1-800-245-4580.
Indiana Legal Services, Inc. is a non-profit providing free, legal representation and advice to low-income people in noncriminal cases. For information call 1-800-852-3477. All information is confidential.
Public transportation is available in Spencer, Perry, Warrick, Dubois and neighboring counties. Call Ride Solutions at 1-877-369-8899. Hours are 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, except holidays.