Arts and Entertainment
The Cold Stares, a musical duo consisting of Christ Tapp and Brian Mullins, will perform at the historic Astra Theatre in Jasper on Saturday, January 18. Doors for this performance will open at 6:30 p.m. EST, with the opening act taking the stage at 7:30 p.m. EST, and the Cold Stares around 8:30 p.m. EST. General admission tickets on the main floor and balcony are $15. VIP tickets that include reserved parking, premium seating, concessions voucher and artist meet-and-greet are available for $30 each. To purchase tickets or for more information, visit www.TheNextAct.org.
Saint Meinrad Archabbey Library Gallery in St. Meinrad is currently hosting an art exhibit called “New Works: Slipware and Drawings,” by Br. Martin Erspamer, OSB. The show runs through January 15. The exhibit features functional ceramics, small scale mixed-media drawings and carved tiles. This is a cash and carry show, with new work replacing pieces as they sell. Smaller pieces are ideal Christmas gifts. Br. Martin, a Benedictine monk of Saint Meinrad Archabbey, earned a master’s degree in fine arts from Boston University and began his career as a liturgical artist, working in painting, illustration, ceramics, stained glass, and worship space design. His art celebrates the Benedictine ethos, “that in all things may God be glorified.” For library hours, call 812-357-6401 or 800-987-7311, or visit www.saintmeinrad.edu/library/library-hours/. The exhibit is free and open to the public. Those wishing to view the exhibit may want to arrive at least 30 minutes before closing time.
The Community Table at Dale Presbyterian Church will be closed this Thursday, January 2, to allow the volunteers time with their family and friends.
Dale Presbyterian and Dale United Methodist churches are offering a free 30-week exercise program for seniors 50+ years old. This program called 3b focuses on health of the body, brain and belief systems. It also provides support to increase balance and deep breathing. All exercises can be done while sitting in a chair, but options to increase strength for those more mobile are also available. 3b will be held Mondays and Wednesdays beginning January 6 at Dale United Methodist Church, 1 W Elm Street, at 10 a.m. Registration will be at the door and will be at a “first come-first served” basis. Instructors are Bonnie Moesner and Martha FrizLanger.
Cornerstone United Methodist Church, located at 1407 E County Road 800 N in Chrisney, holds services at 10 a.m. on Sundays and Sunday School for all ages at 9 a.m. Pastor is Clint Fink.
Dale Bible Church, located at 300 E. Vine Street, holds Sunday morning worship at 10 a.m., Sunday School at 9 a.m. and a Sunday evening service at 6 p.m. Visit www.dalebiblechurch.org for more info.
Clubs and Meetings
Chrisney Town Council will meet Monday, January 6 at 7 p.m. at town hall.
Gentryville Town Council meets the first Tuesday, January 7 at 6 p.m. at town hall.
Spencer County Commissioners will meet Tuesday, January 7 at 2 p.m. in the Commissioners’ Room at the Courthouse.
District 18 of the Indiana Volunteer Firefighters’ Association will meet Thursday, January 16 at Ohio Township Reo Station, located at 963 N. 275 W., Rockport. A meal will be served at 7:30 p.m. and the business session will begin at approximately 8 p.m.
Dale Kiwanis meets every Monday from 12-1 p.m. at Jenk’s Pizza in Dale. Guests and new members are always welcome.
Kiwanis Club of South Spencer meets at Angelo’s Pizza every Tuesday from 11:45 a.m.-1 p.m.
Health and wellness
An Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia Caregiver Support Group will meet next Wednesday, January 8, from 6:30-8 p.m. EST in Board Conference Room A of Memorial Hospital (near the Tower Café) in Jasper. This support group allows caregivers to come together to share knowledge and experiences in caring for loved ones who are affected by these illnesses. For more information, visit Memorial Hospital’s website at www.mhhcc.org and click on “Classes & Events,” or contact Heather Terwiske, Caring Hands Activity Coordinator, at 812-996-0218 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Pre-registration is not necessary.
Spencer County Council on Aging provides a SWIRCA meal at 11:30 a.m. Monday-Thursday in the Lincoln Manor Community Room, 714 Sycamore St., Rockport. Suggested donation is $3.50 for those 60 and older. Food stamps are accepted. Reservations must be called in 24 hours in advance at 812-649-9828. The meal site is closed on Fridays. Activities such as bingo and games are scheduled throughout the month after lunch.
Drug overdoses have become a leading cause of accidental death in the United States with heroin and other opiates being the largest contributor. Learn more about the signs of heroin addiction and how to make a difference by visiting www.narcononnewliferetreat.org/drug-rehab. Narconon can also help you take steps to overcome addiction in your family with free screenings or referrals; call 1-800-431-1754.
Lincoln Heritage Public Library:
Dale Branch (812-937-7170)
• The next Homeschool Thursday will be held January 2 from 1-2:30 p.m. This program is a time for local home-school families to meet, connect and network with one another in a safe, fun environment. Call the library for more information.
• Adult patrons are invited to make their own door angel wreath at the library on Monday, January 6 from 6-7 p.m. All materials will be provided by Dale Friends of LHPL. Call the library to register.
• S.T.E.M. Challenge Club will meet from 3:30-4:45 p.m. on Tuesday, January 7. This club is open to kids of all ages. Participants get to learn and play with S.T.E.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) devices.
• Kids in grades 6-12 are invited to a Mario Kart Wii Challenge Night on Tuesday, January 7 from 5-7 p.m. Join Ms. Abby for an evening of fun. Participants will draw rankings and complete a bracket to see who is the Mario Kart Champion. Snacks will be provided.
• Bite-Sized Bookworms, a storytime for kids 3-6 years old, is offered every Tuesday from 9:30-10:15 a.m. and every Thursday from 10:45-11:30 a.m. Free and no registration required.
• Tiny Tales, a storytime for ages 6 months-35 months, is offered every Wednesday from 9:30-10 a.m. Free and no registration required.
• Music and Movement storytime is offered every Wednesday from 1-1:45 p.m. for kids age 3-6 years old. Free and no registration required.
• A “Not Your Mother’s Yoga” class is offered every Thursday from 9:15-10:15 a.m. This free class is for anyone 18 and older, and registration is recommended.
• Genealogy assistance is available to patrons every Wednesday from 1:30-4 p.m.
Chrisney Branch (812-362-8471)
• Kids Crafternoon Club will meet Thursday, January 2 from 3:30-4:45 p.m. This club is open to kids of all ages.
• The next First Friday Family Fun will be held Friday, January 3 from 3:30-4:30 p.m. Patrons of all ages are invited. The theme is “Hello, 2020” in welcoming in the new decade. Crafts and treats will be part of the fun. Registration is appreciated by calling the library.
• S.T.E.M. Challenge Club will meet from 3:30-4:45 p.m. on Thursday, January 9. This club is open to kids of all ages. Participants get to learn and play with S.T.E.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) devices.
• Bite-Sized Bookworms, a storytime for kids 3-6 years old, is offered every Monday from 10-10:45 a.m. Free and no registration required.
• Genealogy assistance is available to patrons on Mondays from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Free delivery services are available for all Lincoln Heritage Public Library area homebound residents in North Spencer. Patrons may request large print books, paperbacks, books on CD, music CDs, magazines, word puzzles and DVDs, as well as items for the visually impaired — all at no cost. Call Justine, Outreach Coordinator at 812-937-7170 to set up a visit.
Spencer County Public Library:
Rockport Branch (812-649-4866)
• Book Club will meet Friday, January 3 at 1 p.m. to discuss The Lost Girls of Paris by Pam Jenoff. New members (18 and older) always welcome.
Marylee Vogel Branch (Richland) (812-359-4146)
• Patrons 18 and older are invited to a recipe swap on Thursday, January 9 at 5 p.m. January’s theme is “Soup and Sandwich”. Participants should bring a dish along with the recipe to share with others. Sign-up is encouraged by contact Charlynn at 812-359-4146 or email@example.com.
Parker Branch (Hatfield) (812-359-4030)
• Crochet Club will meet Thursday, January 9 at 3 p.m. Participants will learn how to hold the hook, maintain tension and basic stitches. Contact Shannon at 812-359-4030 for more information. This club is open to patrons 18 and older.
Dale American Legion Color Guard is available to conduct military graveside rites to honor veterans for their service. Call the Post Home at 812-937-4025 to request services, or Commander Don Daigle at 812-454-7079.
Indiana Legal Services, Inc. is a non-profit providing free, legal representation and advice to low-income people in noncriminal cases. For information call 1-800-852-3477. All information is confidential.
Public transportation is available in Spencer, Perry, Warrick, Dubois and neighboring counties. Call Ride Solutions at 1-877-369-8899. Hours are 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, except holidays.
Crisis Connection, Inc. operates a hot-line for battered and at-risk women, and other services. To seek help or to talk to someone who cares call 1-800-245-4580.